Farzi Cafe - Contemporary Indian Cuisine

The name Jiggs Kalra is synonymous to an elite culinary experience in the hospitality dynasty of India. Through works of art like Masala Library and MasalaBar, a legacy has been created. Zorawar Kalra, successor of the Kalra empire, carries on this legacy with Farzi Café, one of the city’s most talked about ‘newly-opened’. Contemporary Indian Cuisine in its finest form. Farzi is enveloped in the large compound of Kamala Mills, a restaurant hub by itself. Once in, an all-stone, dimly lit ambience engulfs you and illusionary lighting takes over (special mention to the light show above the bar). The restaurant is fairly large and experiences a transformation post 7pm (I vow to not be a spoiler). The service is truly impeccable, executed by slick-dressed managers and stewards with thorough knowledge of the menu and its content. Every beverage recommendation by the witty Shahbaz, our server for the evening, was spot on. Under the care of head chef, Kunal, our meal was a smooth voyage. All preferences and allergies were noted, and our meal was crafted accordingly. He frequented our table to make certain that all was okay. Generally, before visiting a restaurant, I do a little background research of my own. Prior to my visit, I had a slammed week. Having only heard praises about the place, I was almost a clean slate, ready to be amazed.

Getting down to the real deal, the point of emphasis, the highlight…the food! Everything was created with the finest of ingredients, utmost care, precision and skill. All meals commence with an amuse bouche of deceiving Mishti Doi spheres. Personally, big fan of mishti doi and I must say that it was amusing (pun intended) to see it in its #Farzified form. 

Amuse Bouche - Mishti Doi Spheres

Having spent six, great years of boarding life in beautiful Mount Abu, Rajasthan, I’m fairly well-versed with the tastes of Rajasthani cuisine. A recent visit to Jaipur had rekindled the flavours of the region. The very first dish presented to us was Raj Kachori. In its Farzi avatar, Raj Kachori with Tamarind Foam. It tasted authentic in every way. 

Raj Kachori with Tamarind Foam
Dal-chawal is a staple in an Indian household and I love it. I’m not one to order the same at a restaurant though. So, here’s Farzi fusion coming into play, Dal-chawal made to look like Italian Arancini, served with mini, rolled papads.

A very fun dish for me, the next one, Tempura Fried Tiger Prawns with Nimboo-Mirch Air. Be sure to pick a piece of well-seasoned and spiced tempura prawn and scoop up some of the chilli-lime foam. It will definitely impress. 

Tempura Prawns with Nimboo-Mirch Air
There is a rather famous kulcha dhaba in my neighbourhood because of which I took a like to stuffed Amristsari kulchas. What came to our table in the form of kulchas was an eye-turner, Margarita Kulchas with Bloody Mary Ketchup. Eyebrows raised?? Loaded and oozing cheese, and tangy ketchup…I was bloody merry indeed.

In my opinion, Farzi and its sister restaurants take pride in their lamb chops. I’ve been told of and have seen enticing pictures of lamb chops at Masala Library. Here, at Farzi, was tender and flavourful, Braised Lamb Chops with Korma Glaze which I relished.

Another great dish was the Chicken Changezi Quesadilla. Malabar porota to replace the quesadilla, stuffed with minced meat cooked in flavourful Indian spices. 

Chicken Changezi Quesadilla
The Bhatti da Murg was succulent and tasted well, but Farzi had spoilt us by now and this seemed very ordinary among the extraordinary. I would say the same for the Green Curry Marinated Paneer Tikka. I would like to mention that it was very pleasant with the Sambal Mayo that came with it.

I absolutely agree with saving the best for last. The last appetizer (I know what you’re thinking. Still on the first course? Well yes, last one. Promise.) was…wait for it…Delhi Belly Tikka with Anardana Chura and Muramba Glaze. This was one to die for. Butter-soft, divine pork belly that just melts in the mouth and went great with the classic accompaniment of apple.

I won’t be able to say much about the drinks because I couldn’t have any of them. Though, by the looks of my fellow diners, Three Musketeers, Farzi Idea, Chai Paani and Bang Bang seemed to win them over. However, I did enjoy my mocktail, the name of which I fail to remember, but it consisted of Kaffir Lime and California Oranges. 


Chai Paani (cocktail)
Before getting down to the mains, we had to rid our palates of all the amazing grub we just had. A Popsicle of Frozen Yogurt and Khandvi with an aftertaste of South Indian Spices did just that.

First up, Spaghetti Aglio Olio e Coco with Tamatar ka Kut. When the dish was presented to us, I had already formed an idea of how this dish was going to taste. And to my surprise, I was absolutely right. The spaghetti had hints of coconut and the tamatar ka kut was like a tomato chutney. 

Spaghetti Aglio Olio e Coco with Tamatar Kut
The next and final dish among the mains was impressive, not just the presentation and taste, but the story behind it as well. Murg Tikka Masala, UK’s national dish. Farzi thought it best to leave this classic unhampered. Being UK’s national dish (surprising to many), it was only apt that it be served in a big, red English telephone booth. The dish of course, was delicious and rich, just like it is supposed to be. 

Murg Tikka Masala
For dessert, we had the Chocolate Dirt Pile. I’m not much of a chocolate dessert person. There were a number of elements in this which contribute to the different textures of the dessert, over which liquid chocolate is poured. The next was the Bailey’s popsicle. Fun, indeed. I was in a hurry, fortunately for me, I could just pop this and be on my way. With that, our meal at Farzi came to a close.


Zorawar Kalra, through Farzi and its offerings, not only wants to put out a molecular gastronomic, fusion experience, but also a fine dine, satiating meal. This has been done with success. Farzi Café will assure you a memorable meal. I’ve been to one Farzi now, hopefully the one in the capital soon. 

Farzi Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment