#ZomatoMeetup @NoodlePlay

A while ago, I was invited to a Zomato Meetup at Noodle Play. This took place at The Hive, Khar. It was an evening of ‘Wok and Talk’. There was some wok tossing action along with the talk by, and with the founders of Noodle Play, and also talk with other food bloggers and restaurant reviewers. As I entered, I got a name tag (I like the idea because there were so many people) and a goodie bag that had chopsticks with my sun sign on it (Taurus), three of Noodle Plays signature sauces (which was put into great use), my dining kit (explained later), and the menu for the evening.



Noodle Play is a take away joint that is like none other. Founded by Hitesh Bhatia and Ishmeet Chandiok, their aim, through Noodle Play is to bring the restaurant dining experience to your home or work place. Personally, I love this idea because it makes even eating alone a little more interesting. And this is how they do it: a table mat with activities on it to entertain you when you are munching, disposable cutlery and Chinese food take away box so you don’t have to trouble yourself with any washing, and mint and tamarind sweets to end your meal. If you’re a fan of selfies, you will definitely like the tissue. You wear it like a bib and well actually…order to find out. And do you know what is better than free food, having gotten free food when you actually expected to pay for it. Yes, Noodle Play has a 29 minute or free policy! 


Ishmeet Chandiok, one of the two founders of Noodle Play giving us Wok gyaan
Before we could get to the lovely food, we had three rounds of a game in which you get blindfolded and guess the ingredient by smell (star anise), touch (I don’t remember) and taste (the vegetarian substitute for Oyster Sauce. By the looks of the peoples expression, it surely was horrible). In the entire gyaan session that we had, here are a couple of Did-You-Knows that I found really interesting…
  • Noodles originated in Japan, not China!
  • Chopsticks were invented to serve food.
  • Ginger was never a part of Chinese cooking, it was an addition by Indians because we found the food too bland.
  • Authentic Chinese cuisine uses no oil!
  • The wok used in Chinese cooking is only seasoned once with oil, at the start of operations.
  • Nariman Point had Food Trucks. Yes, Nariman Point!


Let me talk about why we were really there, the FOOD! We got to try our hands on the wok. The number of unsuccessful wok tosses was far greater than the successful number. Training in the hospitality industry backed me up and I can proudly say I was one of the successful few. I also have a certificate that says so too. YAY me! Yet, I don’t think I could keep tossing for very long. So, kudos to every person in the kitchen whose job is to work the wok…those things are heavy, and the ingredients make them heavier!! It is an arm workout in itself. 


My certificate of Wok Tossing! :P
Kimchi is always a great way to start any Oriental meal. It is really tasty, everyone knows it. You have to be careful not to fill up on it. 


Kimchi (should be the term for 'start of a meal)
For starters, here’s what the chef whipped up, Black Pepper Chicken, Paneer Taipei and Paneer Sapo. The chicken was really nice, but the Paneer Sapo, was mind boggling!! It was one of those rare occasions for me where the vegetarian option just trumps the non veg! 


Paneer Sapo
Black Pepper Chicken
Rice and Noodles. So here is Noodle Play, with its Punabi and part Punjabi owners giving Chinese cuisine a Punjabi twist…Punjabi Tadka Noodles. Quite a novelty, I certainly liked it because I like my Makhani. Apart from that, the Burnt Garlic Noodles was so nice I could eat it plain. The show stopper among the rice and noodles was the Thai Curry. It was absolutely brilliant. I savoured every bite. 


By the end of all this, my appetite was satiated. But there’s always room for dessert…so the Noodle Play team cut a really nice, really heavy, really moist chocolate cake. After that…truly DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!

Thank You, Zomato, for an awesome #ZomatoMeetup and the goodies as well. Looking forward to many more such events. Until next time!!

Noodle Play Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment